Frequently asked questions
Is 2020 the 2nd or 3rd edition of The Icon's Journey Marathon?
It's the 2nd, in 2018 the 103km route was being launched by 100 social runners from the 9 provinces of South Africa under the theme "100km by 100 runners for Mandela 100 years".
Which is the nearest City to the start point and where can I find accommodation?
The nearest City is Mthatha, a list of accommodation can be found on our Home Page under Plan Your Race.
How many starting points does the event have?
The cycling MTB event has 2 x starting points, the 103km & 35km starts. The running event has 4 starting points 103km, 35km, 12km & 7km.
Do we have to carry headlights since the 103km starts at 04h00am?
Yes, it is advisable since the race starts during the dark. Slower runners are highly advised to carry headlights the whole race as they will finish in the dark.
How many km of the 103km route is gravel?
80km of the 103km route is gravel road.
Where & when is the registration going to take place?
The registration of the event will take place at Nelson Mandela Museum (Bhunga building, Mthatha) from 15 July 2020.
Will there be transport available to the start points?
Yes the organizers will arrange transport in the form of buses and taxis. Each runner must carry cash to pay before getting onto the transport. A fare rate will be negotiated for the athletes.
Are there any tourism attractions along the route?
Yes, the 103 route starts at Clarkebury SSS a high school attended by Nelson Mandela in 1934-1936. At 50km you will see Mqhekezwen Great Place, the home he was raised by regent King Jongintaba Dalindyebo from 12years to 23 years. At 74km (35km race start) you will see his Qunu home where he is laid to rest and the Nelson Mandela Museum. At 100km you will see Mvezo Komkhulu, the home where he was born.
What makes The Icon's Journey Unique?
It is the longest offroad event in South Africa. The route touches 3 x district Municipalities (Chris Hani, OR Tambo & Amathole District Municipalities). It touches 2 x Kingdoms (Abathembu & AmaXhosa Kingdoms). It cuts across over 150 rural villages. Along the route you touch National & World heritage sites.
The 103km runners receive the World's most unique medals, each lanyard is hand crafted in royal abaThembu beads.
What is the cut-off time for the 103km running event?
15 hours. 04h00am - 19h00pm
How do I enter The Iconic 31 Day Virtual Challenge?
This challenge is intended as a group challenge for a team of minimum of 10 people and a maximum of 20 people.
Instructions to enter:
Start on our RSA Challenge Page (link above)
1. Find the Challenge Event
2. Click Enter Now.
It will open a "Quick View" for speed of entry.
3. In grey block under image, select your country of residence.
The total will automatically reflect the total for 10 entries.
4. Select the amount of additional entries you would like to add, for example:
For a total of 10 entries, select 0, for a total of 11 entries, select 1, for a total of 12 entries, select 2, and so on.
5. Click on "Add to Cart" button.
6. Click on "Next" button.
7. Choose items you would like to add to entry by clicking on "Add to Cart" button. If not wanting to add anything to cart, or having completed your choices, you can click the "check out" button at the bottom of your page or alternatively the cart button at the top right of the page.
8. Check your order.
9. Click Checkout.
10. Fill in your details on our Checkout page.
11. Click "Continue" button.
12. Click "Continue" button to confirm payment. It will say Payment with Yoco (secure payment portal).
13. Review (check) your order and click "Place Order".
14. Fill in your credit card details.
15. Click payment button.
16. As soon as your payment is verified by your bank, you will receive an order confirmation.
17. Check your email, you have mail!
18. Add email@example.com to your email address book so that you don't miss any communication from us about the race.
Will you endure the Icon's Journey Marathon?
Need more help?
We're here to assist, reach out via email